Sunday, June 1, 2008

Fear of Flying

Jan and I are leaving for Germany today.

Getting ready to go is always harder than just staying home! But it is good to get out and see this world that has been created by our good God.

The photo to the right was taken this spring, when Jan and I traveled to the Dominican Republic with Steve and Amy Kiefer. That's Steve, all excited about the trip, in the terminal for American Airlines at O'Hare International in Chicago.

It's not right to publish photos like this, but I've always seen and experienced the most interesting things/people in airports. You never know what you're going to run across.

But I thought the sign and the image go together. I just wish it had been me caught napping at pre-6:00 in the morning, waiting for the terminal to open so we could check in.

Some people are nervous about flying, including Jan. Me, I figure there's not much I can do when it comes to planes and flying. My fate is in the hands of the pilots and equipment. It's a trust exercise. And if trust is a good synonym for faith, then I guess flying is also a faith exercise. I just have to sit back and have faith that a steel tube will fly, if only it has enough forward thrust!

Jan gets nervous when we fly. She says she doesn't mind flying--so long as she can drive! There's a thought! Now I'm nervous about flying.

We arrive in Frankfort, Germany, around one in the morning our time. It will be seven in the morning over there. Monday is going to be a long day. They say it takes as many days to adjust to the change in time zones as the number of times zones you've crossed. We'll be six hours different from Bremen, so it will take us six days to adjust to the change in time. Of so they say. I'll let you know.

Check back for updates. I'll be posting as often as I can.

Guten tag!

No comments: